Sunday, July 27, 2008
So I packed up the kids, loaded the car, and set off on a 5 hour roadtrip with the kids.
Now, we have never bought one of those portable dvd players. We have always borrowed one from generous friends whenever we were taking a very long trip. This time, however, we weren't able to get it.
I was considerably concerned. Hoping I would finish this trip with my sanity (and theirs) intact.
I tried to creatively pack things that would keep their interests. I did forget the bible story tapes though.
They listened to music. First hers - Hannah Montana. Then his - Wiggles. Then hers - Jonas Brothers. And then his again - Veggie Tales. (musical whip-lash for mommy)
They looked at books. They munched. And colored.
I drove. Listened to them. Answered questions. After resorting to playing the licence plate game by myself (my kids are too little still) which is not much fun, or competitive at all; I begin to make a mental list of the things around me that I was thankful for. Here is what I came up with.
My Road-trip Top 10 List
1. clear sunny days. I'm not fond of driving interstate in the rain.
2. leak-proof sippy cups
3. rest stops - for when the 4 yr old suddenly yells "I have to peepee Mommy. Right now!"
4. magnetic farm animals and cookie sheets
5. Teddy Graham Trail Mix
6. music, singing, radio, and cd players
7. personalized licence plates - its like a guessing game for me, trying to figure out what it supposed to say, and why they would want to say that on their plate, and who picked it out - man or a woman
8. (supposedly)washable markers....and Shout stain remover
9. teddy bear & binkie....nuff said
10. caffiene - to keep mommy alert, aware, and calm
I was actually quite pleased. And pleasantly suprised. Not once did Ashleigh even ask about a movie and why we didnt have one with us.
We only had one little mishap - she was using a little spray bottle of water to mist her dolls hair. Apparently she kept doing it over and over and over and very generously. So ended up soaking the entire front of her shorts. Right at the same time, Logan's diaper somehow? came undone on one side. So he ended up soaking the entire front of his shorts too!
Saturday, July 26, 2008
I've enjoyed it. The kids have stayed busy - just playing. Doing all the things that I remember doing as a kid. Splashing in puddles. Making chalk figures on the sidewalk. Riding bikes & trikes.
Having tea parties. Making mud-pies. Chasing butterflies. Catching lightening bugs. Swinging at the park. Taking long family walks. After-church picnics with friends. Library summer reading program.
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
They had quite the time playing together, and forgot all about the dreary day outdoors.
Later in the day, after naps, they were "bored" again. But Mommy had a secret back-up plan!
A few weeks ago, I hit the mother-load at a garage sale. Board books for Logan, dress-up dolls for Ashleigh, rubber stamps, farm animal magnets, plastic toy food, some baggies of dinosaurs and cars, and even a little tikes easel w/chalk board on one side. All for just a few dollars. I somehow managed to keep these things hidden. It is now my "Rainy Day Box". I pulled out a couple of "new" items to suprise them this afternoon. They played the rest of the day with them.
I like when days go smooth like that :)
I am reminded of the verse about how God's mercies are new every morning. I think its kind of like my "rainy day box". Think of all the blessings and all the grace that He has, hiding away, and He is just waiting to pull out something new for us. Every day!!
I pray there are blueberries left!
So that later in the week, we can douse ourselves with bugspray and stand out in the 90 degree weather to pick berries.
I pray there are blueberries left.
So that I can watch the joy on my daughter's face as she bites into her first berry of the summer. So I can watch that look of determination, challenge, and perseverence as she strives to fill her bucket with the best, plump, berries.
So I can watch her teach her younger brother on his first berry-picking adventure.
Later this week, I will post our favorite recipes for blueberry syrup, blueberry lemonade, and hopefully some pictures.
Monday, July 21, 2008
Thursday, July 17, 2008
I love this picture. Picture-taking time can be so frustrating. I try and try to get them both to stand right, look right, smile right. Usually to no avail.
This picture was my lesson for the day. (or at least 1 of my lessons for the day. the day is not over yet!)
This is real. This is them. Fun, silly, alive, personalities.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Check out http://www.oldredbarnco.blogspot.com/ . She is giving away an amazing quilt that she made. There are several ways you can enter.
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
1. Where is your cell phone? desk
2. Your significant other? freddyluv
3. Your hair? ponytail
4. Your mother? spirtual
5. Your father? dear
6. Your favorite thing? food
7. Your dream last night? odd
8. Your favorite drink? coffee
9. Your dream/goal? author
10. The room you’re in? shabby-chic
11. Your church? exploding
12. Your fear? drowning
13. Where do you want to be in 6 years? settled
14. Where were you last night? home
15. What you’re not? energetic
16. Muffins? blueberry
17. One of your wish list items? farmhouse
18. Where you grew up? country
19. The last thing you did? naps
20. What are you wearing? shorts
21. Your TV? noggin
22. Your pets? calico
23. Your computer? thankful
24. Your life? adventure
25. Your mood? rested
26. Missing someone? family
27. Your car? suv
28. Something you’re not wearing? shoes
29. Favorite store? book
30. Your summer? busy
31. Like(love) someone? adore
32. Your favorite color? burgandy
33. Last time you laughed? lunch
34. Last time you cried? curious
35. Who will repost this? nobody