Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My favorite Mexican Casserole


~ Mexican Casserole ~

1 lb. ground beef
1 16oz. can kidney beans
15oz. taco sauce
8oz. tomato sauce
1 tablespoon chopped onion
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup corn chips, crushed
1 1/2 cup sour cream
sliced black olives *optional

Brown beef and onion in skillet. Combine with kidney beans, Taco sauce, tomato sauce. Add
cheese and corn chips.
Pour into greased 2-qt. casserole. Bake uncovered @ 350 degrees 20 to 25 minutes, until bubbly. Spread with sour cream and 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Bake 3 to 5 minutes longer, until melted. Serve with chips.
{We double this and make it in a 13x9 baking dish when everyone is here. It goes fast!}
This recipe has been one of my favorites since I was a little girl. My grandma first got the recipe where she was working as a nurse in Colorado...probably in the 70's. My family loved it and made it often. We always got to pick what we wanted for our birthday dinners, and I remember I almost always picked either Mexican Casserole or Lasagna...with a strawberry chip cake for dessert :)
Its been awhile since I've made it, but I was craving it last night. Ashleigh wasn't too sure about it as she mushed it around on her plate. "Does it have beans in it?!" she asked.
"Only the good kind." I told her. Then I told her how I used to pick it for my birthday dinner and that made all the difference! She ate it AND liked it ;)

1 comment:

Tonya said...

Yummy!!!
Thank you for posting this!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...